Sunday, February 26, 2017

Time to Share

This weekend I've been reflecting on a lot. I'm a thinker, an extreme introvert, I process most things internally. I tend to be private, I don't like to share a lot of personal things, don't usually discuss my plans or dreams very much with others.
I think I have always been the type who stuck by the old adage of not airing your dirty laundry in public. I think overall this is good advice. We don't need to share our quarrels with family with the world. We don't need to share every little detail. We don't need to let everyone know everything that is going on.
However, on the other hand, social media has allowed us to share so much so quickly. It has allowed us to see the highlight reels of the lives of those we interact with on social media. We get to see all of the amazing things that our friends, family, and acquaintances are doing. Which is great, but we don't get the whole story. We don't see the struggles. We don't see the "bloopers", the behind the scenes.
Something I have been struggling with in my desire to help others, in my studying to become a life coach is sharing my own journey. My own story. From where I was not so many years ago, to where I am today. My close friends and family know bits and pieces. Some people know the depths I went down to into darkness and despair, but most don't. It is hard to share and spread the joy of life, the joy of finding light without sharing the journey of the darkness. Without sharing how far the other way you have been in your life.
Doing this, sharing this journey is something I have fought against for quite awhile. It is not something that comes easily to me, it is not something I feel entirely comfortable with. I think I have always been around a lot of people who feel that you just kind of hide it and not talk about it and in some cases ignore it.
I look at the stories of inspiring people in the world. They are inspiring because of what they have overcome. They are inspiring because we get a glimpse into where they have come from to where they arrived at. Now, I am not claiming that I am some amazing inspiration. What I have come to believe though, is that whatever is personal is universal. The things that I have learned and experienced in my journey could be helpful, enlightening, and lifting for others. I truly believe that I we are each here for a reason, to help the world in some way. I know that I am here to help others, and I need to start sharing some of where I was to where I have gotten to in order to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment